My brother is doing a 72 hour sponsored fast with some friends to raise money for MS:
Three whole days without even a single scrap of food entering our bodies, only having water to keep us going.
I’m joining in – it started at 11am:
I ate the following a few minutes before 11am:
- Massive plate of home-made lentil curry.
- Massive bowl of nut based cereal.
- Massive energy drink.
- Some vitamins that were lying around from years ago.
I’m totally stuffed now – let’s see how I am in 72 hours, cold turkey! I’ll probably miss coffee a fair bit too.
Friday, 26th March Update.
I managed it. The first 30 hours were the hardest then it plateaued and I coped fine. I wasn’t even all that hungry by the end. I was very busy with work so I had a lot to take my mind off being hungry. After the first 24 hours, I had lost 4lbs, then 6lbs, then 4lbs – so I lost 1 stone in total – not that it means anything because I’m sure it’ll just go back on (but I’ll try not to let it).
I expected to feel drained and have trouble sleeping or getting up early, perhaps even stomach cramps but none of that happened, my energy levels were ok, physically.
Apart from feeling hungry, there were some other negative side effects:
- Mild headache started on day 2 and lasted into day 3.
- My brain stopped firing on all cylinders part way through day 2
- Upset stomach started on day 3.
- Aching carve muscles started on day 3.
- Felt a bit “away with the fairys” from day 3 – not dizzy but not quite right.