The plugin isn’t all that generalised, so I’m not sure it’ll be useful to many people but I think it’s a tool worth sharing.
- This plugin doesn’t change the WordPress media gallery admin interface – galleries are created and inserted into pages/posts as normal (i.e. using the media upload GUI + the
shortcode). WordPress authors won’t need to change or learn anything new.
- The plugin makes efficient use of WordPress media (no front-end image resizing via CSS!) which means it doesn’t matter if one of your authors uploads a load of 3MB images to a gallery – it’ll still run fast.
- The plugin doesn’t pre-download images that aren’t needed – it displays a loading spinner image when the user is waiting for a image on load.
- Should be easy to style the gallery in your own way – uses CSS classes and IDs.
- The user can click on the main image to cycle through the gallery.
- Uses jQuery for cross-browser hover fade effects.
- Small JS footprint: 2854 bytes.
- Outputs valid XHTML (unlike the default WordPress gallery!).
Screenshot of the plugin:
Demo of plugin: www.greekislandpropertyfinders.co.uk/what-we-are-finding.
Download the plugin from the WordPress.org plugin directory.