We gave Fred (my father-in-law) a hand-me-down computer because his one is suffering from Windows rot and is unbearably slow. Our one comes with a catch… It has Ubuntu instead of Windows.
How do you make a Ubuntu computer easy to use?
- Turn on Auto login
- Remove all icons on the desktop, then add back “Internet” and links to “My Documents”, “My Pictures”, etc
- Make sure there is only 1 Workspace
- Music and Video player –> VLC. But change icon to something that makes more sense than a traffic cone!
- Ipod software –> Banshee. But change icon to a ipod image
- Trim unneeded software from the Applications menu (by uninstalling them)