After installing Ubuntu 8.10 on my Sony laptop (VGN-AR51E) this is a list of some of the configurations I’ve made:
- The web-cam (MotionEye – Ricoh USB r5u870) doesn’t work, I think the driver isn’t in the kernel for Ubuntu 8.10. In fact, /dev/video0 is completely missing (see bug 255678). This is how to fix:
- lsusb gives:
05ca:1839 Ricoh Co., Ltd
- Download the latest driver:
svn co http://svn.mediati.org/svn/r5u870/trunk r5u870( see http://wiki.mediati.org/b/2008/01/r5u870/ for more info)
- Do the following:
cd r5u870 sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion make make install Reboot the machine sudo chmod 777 /dev/video0
- Test with
- Cheese still doesn’t work but nevermind.
- To get DVD playback working: Install the Xine movie player:
sudo apt-get install xine-ui
- To get youtube working: Go to www.youtube.com, click to play a video and then click on the link to install Flash. Adobe provide a deb file that works fine – just make sure you don’t miss the Firefox “Allow this software to install” notification. Also, sometimes I have restart to see flash work (but other times it worked without a restart?)
- Install essential Firefox Add-ons:
- Install the British English Dictionary extension and restart Firefox. Once restarted, right- click inside a text field and choose English / British under the Language settings.
- Install LastTab (I can’t understand why pressing Ctrl+Tab doesn’t default to your last tab in the base installation of Firefox?)
/etc/hostsand add the names of the other machines on our network
- Set up the printer:
- Turn the printer on.
- Click System->Administration->Printing. There should be 4 Devices, one being “HP Photosmart 3200 series 192.168.0.5”.
- Select “HP” in the “Select printer from database”, Then “Photosmart 3200”.
- The printer should now work.
- Remove the Windows recovery partition from the Grub Boot screen (because confusingly, it has the same name as the real Windows partition and I kept booting into the recover partition instead of the rubbish but game-playing-enabled OS I expected.
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst. Then comment out the first occurrence of Windows which is at the end of the file.
- I like to press “super+d” to see my desktop (i.e. minimise all). To map this keyboard shortcut: System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts. Under “Windows Management” section, click the “Hide all windows and focus desktop” and the press “Super+d”.
Still not working:
- Three of the Sony Custom keyboard buttons: DVD eject button and 2 user programmable buttons. None of the methods described in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/HotkeyResearch work.
- The Headphones socket.
- The card reader works for SD cards but not “Memory Stick Pro” cards (which is unsurprising since it is a Sony proprietary technology).
5 responses to “Ubuntu 8.10 on Sony VGN-AR51E”
Ã Â¤Â…Ã Â¤Â¤Ã Â¤Â¿Ã Â¤ÂµÃ Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¸,Ã Â¤Â¦Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â°Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¦Ã Â¥ÂˆÃ Â¤ÂµÃ Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¨Ã Â¥Â‡, Ã Â¤Â¨Ã Â¤Â¿Ã Â¤Â¯Ã Â¤Â® Ã Â¤Â¹Ã Â¥Â‡ Ã Â¤Â¨Ã Â¥Â‡Ã Â¤Â¤Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¯Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â‚Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â Ã Â¥Â€ Ã Â¤Â¨Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¤Â¤Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¤ Ã Â¤Â¹Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤ÂªÃ Â¤Â£ Ã Â¤ÂÃ Â¤Â• Ã Â¤Â¨Ã Â¤Â¿Ã Â¤Â¯Ã Â¤Â® Ã Â¤Â†Ã Â¤Â¹Ã Â¥Â‡ Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¥Â‹Ã Â¤Â•Ã Â¤Â¶Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¹Ã Â¥Â€Ã Â¤ÂšÃ Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤Â†Ã Â¤ÂœÃ Â¤ÂšÃ Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¯Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤ÂªÃ Â¥Â‡Ã Â¤ÂªÃ Â¤Â°Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤ÂÃ Â¤Â•Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¤Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â°Ã Â¥Â€ Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤ÂªÃ Â¥Â‹Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¤Â¿Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â‚Ã Â¤Â¨Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤ÂšÃ Â¤Â¿Ã Â¤Â°Ã Â¤Â¡Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¥Â‡ Ã Â¤Â®Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¹Ã Â¤Â£Ã Â¥Â‚Ã Â¤Â¨ Ã Â¤ÂªÃ Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Âš Ã Â¤ÂµÃ Â¤Â°Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â· Ã Â¤ÂœÃ Â¥Â‡Ã Â¤Â² Ã Â¤ÂšÃ Â¥Â€ Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¤ÂœÃ Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤Â¦Ã Â¤Â¿Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¯Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤ÂšÃ Â¥Â‡ Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¤Â®Ã Â¤ÂœÃ Â¤Â²Ã Â¥Â‡. Ã Â¤Â¹Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤Â–Ã Â¤ÂŸÃ Â¤Â²Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤Â«Ã Â¤Â•Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¤ Ã Â¤Â¦Ã Â¥Â‹Ã Â¤Â¨ Ã Â¤ÂµÃ Â¤Â°Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â·Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¤ (!) Ã Â¤Â¨Ã Â¤Â¿Ã Â¤Â•Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¥Â€ Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤ÂµÃ Â¤Â£Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¯Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¤ Ã Â¤Â†Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¤Â¾.Ã Â¤ÂªÃ Â¤Â°Ã Â¤Â‚Ã Â¤Â¤Ã Â¥Â‚ Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¤Â®Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¨ Ã Â¤Â–Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¨Ã Â¤ÂšÃ Â¥Â€ Ã Â¤Â•Ã Â¥Â‡Ã Â¤Â¸ Ã Â¤Â¤Ã Â¤Â° Ã Â¤Â¤Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¯Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤ÂªÃ Â¥Â‚Ã Â¤Â°Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤ÂµÃ Â¥Â€Ã Â¤ÂšÃ Â¥Â€ Ã Â¤Â†Ã Â¤Â¹Ã Â¥Â‡, Ã Â¤Â¤Ã Â¤Â°Ã Â¥Â€ Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¤Â®Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¨ Ã Â¤Â¬Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¹Ã Â¥Â‡Ã Â¤Â° Ã Â¤Â•Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¤Â¾? Ã Â¤Â¹Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤ÂªÃ Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â°Ã Â¤Â¶Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¨ Ã Â¤ÂªÃ Â¤Â¡Ã Â¤Â²Ã Â¤Â¾ Ã Â¤Â¸Ã Â¤Â•Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â³Ã Â¥Â€ Ã Â¤Â¬Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤Â¤Ã Â¤Â®Ã Â¥Â€ Ã Â¤ÂµÃ Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤ÂšÃ Â¤Â²Ã Â¥ÂÃ Â¤Â¯Ã Â¤Â¾Ã Â¤ÂµÃ Â¤Â°.
Ongkos kirim sampai bekasi hanya 350 ribu..untuk info saja pak sampai dengan tanggal 17 agustus 2011 kami ada discount 1 juta dari harga Rp. 8,5 juta jadi Rp. 7,5 juta diluar ongkos kirim..untuk info hub EZIL 021-99137171
"1Q2011 – 167,344,000, or 1.8million/day"So, allowing for some with less than 2 feet, that's almost 3.6 million shoes removed and replaced daily for no particular reason.If the goal of terrorism is to disrupt, Richard Reid has been successful beyond his wildest dream.
Intimidades 🙂 Seja bem vinda!GataHari, somos o que quiseres, punheteiros, putanheiros, doidos…! CÃ¡ te esperamos Ã© para leres e comentares as nossas aventuras. Fico contente por saber que tens melhor gosto que KlÃ¡udia.
Hey, just looking arnuod some blogs, seems a pretty good platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my sites but looking to change 1 of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?